Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Hens in the Yard

What makes me feel rich?  When I look out into my back garden and see my four hens, I feel very rich.

Even in the dead of winter, my girls never let me down.  They provide us with 3 to 4 eggs a day.  Everyday!  I feed them organic chicken feed, and kitchen scraps, but they mostly forage.  And that is another reason having hens makes me feel rich.

I look outside and see four little gardeners all working the soil and composting and generally just creating really fertile soil out of my very dry silty soil that was once, only hospitable to quackgrass.

But now I have hens.  They cleaned up a piece of ground in two days that would have taken me well over a week of painful back breaking labor.  And as far as I could tell, they applied very little effort and seemed to enjoy it immensely.

They bring an energy of industrious joy to the land.  They love being busy.  They love to see me coming.  They love to follow me around.  And in the spring, when it's time to plant, I will move them to another spot, and let them work their magic on a new piece of ground.

They are my new partners in permaculture.  And I am very grateful to them.


My flock:  Penny, Tricksy, Fanny and Ruby


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment