Tuesday, December 5, 2017

Tea for Tue: Tea With Whimsy: Flashes of Insight



Another excerpt from Tea With Whimsy.  This post was from October 20, 2013 and I see that I posted it at 3:38 am.  I guess, I just wasn't sleeping much in those days.  Thankfully, I don't seem to have that issue anymore.  This post was titled...

Flashes of Insight


Yes, it's after 2 am.  This is another of those nights I guess.  At least it's been awhile since I had to write myself to sleep.  I've been sitting here wondering where this story is going.  I'm usually really punchy when I'm writing it, and it comes sometimes like a dream.  That's how I've been writing it down anyway. 

Reading it back, I know it's not that well written...I've done better, but there's just something about having this experience.  I guess you could say it's good medicine.  I suppose I'll keep going and be grateful for it.

So to get back to the story.  I seem to remember we were in the garden looking at the moon...


Her brightness lights the yard and I can feel my cells absorbing the reflected rays, just as the plants all around us are drinking in that marvelous light.  There is a sense of a collective sigh of contentment and it feels like my heart is shining as brightly as that moon.

And then a shudder runs through me, and I feel the air suddenly charged as the world around us lights up with a blinding flash and the explosion of Thunder rips through the air.  The smell of rain comes to us as the wind picks up, and we run for it bursting in through the kitchen door seconds before the heavens open up to drench the land in a mud spattering  downpour.

"My lantern's gone out", I observe aloud.  I set the lantern on the table.  I can't stop shivering and I feel cold all the way into my bones. 

"Your hair!" exclaims Whimsy.

"What about it?" I touch it and hear the crackle of static electricity.

"It's practically standing on end!"  Whimsy declares with a touch of awe in her voice.

My attention is drawn to the window just then and I peer into the blackness which has settled in between flashes.  "Oh look at it pouring!  I'll be drenched if I try to go home now.  You said the storm was hours away"  I chided her.

"That was HOURS ago!" she laughs, and I realize she's right.  That happens every time we get together...it's impossible to keep track as the hours fly by.

"Come over here by the fire!  You haven't stopped shivering since we got back inside."  We stand around the kitchen stove rotating to warm first one side then the other.

After a while I finally stop shivering and I look at the cuckoo clock on the kitchen wall.  "Good Heavens Whimsy!  It's almost 3 am.  I'll bet my cats are in a tizzy with all this thunder!"

"What about your husband?  Does he know you came here?"

"No.  But he's out of town until tomorrow."

"Well then, I guess you'll stay here tonight.  You can go home in the morning, after the storm lets up."

"If the storm lets up by then", I reply.

"Come on", says Whimsy.  "I'll get the cot and set it up here next to the stove and you will be warm as toast.  Then you can go home after breakfast."

In less than 20 minutes I'm snuggled down on the cot, wrapped in wool blankets.  The fire pops a little.  I listen to the creaks and noises of Whimsy's house.  The clock ticks rhythmically and sounds its cuckoos at 3.  The storm continues outside as I relax and the dreams begin before I'm fully asleep.

Thanks for reading.  Join me next Tuesday for a little retro Tea With Whimsy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment