Tuesday, March 15, 2016

House & Home

We had a new circuit breaker panel installed today.

Back in November when we were getting our home weatherized, it sort of came up in conversation (over and over) as we were getting the work done.

Not that anyone wants to make recommendations, but when people keep remarking on your electrical panel, you sort of make it a priority to deal with it.

Our Guardian Angel must be on the job.

Now we have a new panel, and it was remarkably painless.  We spent the day in front of the fireplace, because we were without electricity all day.

Last night, while we still had power, I cooked food for today.  This morning around 11 am after I got the fireplace good and hot, I reheated cornbread and baked potatoes and chicken all in the fireplace.  I meant to throw some veg into the chicken pot too, but got side tracked, so we had fruit instead.

We were only without power about 6 or 7 hours, but it really forced us to relax.  I had the added incentive to take it easy, because last night I injured my dominant hand trying to do too much to get ready for today, and I was kind of worried that it might affect my ability to bind books.  So I've been trying to watch it.

Still, it really limited my ability to get any real priority work done.  Cutting the inserts in boards before covering them with cloth to become a case binding, was definitely out.  So was any digging in the garden. I couldn't work on the taxes because my computer battery won't hold a charge, and I didn't really want to go all the way into town just to use my computer.  I had a really hard time sitting still.  Dishes were done.  Couldn't do laundry with the power out.  Couldn't vacuum.

I had a roaring fire going, with lunch heating.  There was nothing else to do, until I realized that it would be the perfect time to map out my new raised beds.

I had started it a few days ago, but hadn't gotten very far.  And the garden map is on paper...old school, so I didn't need my computer.  I spent the next two hours putting together an imaginary puzzle on graph paper, which finally became my planting map.  I had to coax my mind to remember how to think that way.  I used to "garden on paper" all the time, but it's been awhile now.

I am grateful that my injury and the day spent without power, forced me to sit in front of the fire and plan my coming garden.  It was so peaceful, for once.  Mike sat across from me reading, with Zoë on his lap.  And I had Esmerelda with me while I consulted my growing guide and mapped out the raised beds, taking occasional breaks to stoke the fire, and rearrange the foil wrapped potatoes, or turn the skillet.  (Buddy was in hiding.  He hates it when there are people working on the house and he reappeared the moment the electrician drove away.)

By 4 pm we had power back on and the house to ourselves once more.  Mike's first priority was to make coffee and mine was to pick up the newspaper we'd laid down and vacuum the carpets.  And I must add, the electrician was so clean, there was hardly a mark on the paper, and he cleaned up after himself so well we almost wouldn't have known any work had been done.  Friendly and professional.  It was such a relief to have a good experience.

Now it's the end of the day.  The cats have been fed, the chickens are tucked in.  Mike is snoozin' with the ball game on the radio (Mariners spring training schedule).  I'm winding down my day too...It's been a good one.

Buddy asleep on his face.  How does he breath??

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment