Monday, November 13, 2017

Momentary Magic i.e. Hearth & Heart part three




























Thank you for joining me for this final installment of a three part post which introduces Hearth & Heart, a quarterly short story zine.  Part one, introduced the 2015 Summer edition and in part two, I write about the 2015 Autumn edition.  Which brings Hearth & Heart into the present...

Having finally released Hearth & Heart 2015 Autumn Edition retroactively, I felt free to move into the present and begin work on a brand new zine.  On September 22, 2017  Hearth & Heart 2017 Autumn Edition was released, which is a blend of very old stories and very new stories.  This issue stretched my writing muscles a bit, but I also had to dust off my artistic skills as an illustrator, which had grown very rusty.

Conversation With A Prince was written in 2017 for this edition of Hearth & Heart.  It's one of those stories that is 99% true.  The frontispiece (pictured here) is my one and only pastel which I did in 1992.  It seemed appropriate to use here.

On the Way Upstairs was a fragment of story from 2015.  I had stopped writing it just as the character takes the first step on the staircase.  I was intrigued with how the story began, so was really happy to pick up the threads and finish it.  This is 100% fiction, and in fact found myself facing the challenge of writing about something I had no practical experience with.  It was a fun one to write.  Sort of a time travel yarn with a nautical flavor.  The illustration for that was part pencil sketch and part collage.

The Dream Catcher was a story written in 1990.  I was very young and it shows in the writing style.  Still, I liked the message it conveyed.  There are elements of my childhood in it as well as some elements of a grandmother of mine.  I've been in love with the idea of flying ships since I was 4 years old.  This story has all of that.  The illustration was a pencil sketch of a flying ship against the moon and is mounted it on a background photo of stars taken by the Hubble Telescope.

Getting the Boot - A Story in Elfland  was another fragment of story begun in 2010.  I picked up the threads for this story because I didn't have enough material to release this edition of Hearth & Heart.  Once I began writing it again, it was difficult to wrap it up.  This story seemed to want to go on and on, and really had to stick to a specific number of pages in order to make it into this issue.  It ends with a touch of humor.  I had started an illustration for this story, but as I said before, my skills were rusty and I ran out of time, choosing instead to use a watercolor painting done in 2013.  Oddly enough, it works very well with this story.

The final essay appears on the back cover and is called A New Story.  It's a descriptive little piece that describes the life of a story.

I really had fun writing the stories for this issue and putting it together with the illustrations.  It pushed me out of my comfort zone, and I was surprised at how enjoyable it really was.

To find out more about Hearth & Heart Volume 2  2017 Autumn edition, go to Pegana Press.

Join me next Monday when I'll be introducing Hearth & Heart Volume 2 2017 Winter Edition, scheduled for release later this month.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment