Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Tea for Tue another Tea With Whimsy Story

Back in the Autumn of 2013, I began writing blog posts when I couldn't sleep.  Sometimes the posts would be short like this one, and sometimes they would be longer.  Over time, the individual posts became a story, which were the very primitive rough beginnings of a story called Tea With Whimsy, which eventually, I started to polish up as a full length story.  I am reposting them here, every Tuesday, in their original form.  Here is another installment.

I remember I wrote it during a season when we had very unusual thunder storms.  One in particular just seemed to keep rolling through like a slow moving train, and lasted the whole night long.  I kept referring to these posts as a Bed Time Story I Tell Myself, because I would get tired while I was writing and then I could sleep.

This post was written on October 9, 2013 and was titled, Wait A Minute...Am I Still In This Story?

I guess I'm still in this Bed Time Story...I'm still in Whimsy's kitchen...

Out of the corner of my eye, I see a bright flash of light through the window which lights up the garden.  Long moments later comes the low rumble of very distant Thunder.

"Oh--you know, I should get going" I say to Whimsy.

"I thought you were going to have some toast".  She begins slicing bread with a long knife.  "Would you get out the butter?" She gestures at a cupboard in the corner, she calls the cold cupboard.

"It's going to storm" I say reaching for the butter.

"That's hours away."  She says and she sets to work loading up a cart with cups and plates and slices of bread.  I help in the gathering together of tea and honey and toasting forks.  I am lost for a moment in the music of tinkling cups and saucers and silver as we bustle around her warm, fragrant kitchen, with it's smell of fresh herbs and bread and overtones of spicy apple pie, (which turns out instead to be pineapple upside down cake...the pineapple being a gift from a friend who just got back from the islands).

"I haven't lit the lamps yet in the other room.  will you do it.  The fire is already going so you should be able to see well enough" and she tosses me a box of matches.

On the way to light the lamps, another lightening flash can be seen through dark windows, but still the Thunder is very far off.



Okay, I can see I'll have to stop for now, I just fell asleep writing this at my computer.  But that's the whole point of telling myself this story.  So my mind will quiet and I can go to sleep.

I hope you sleep well too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment