Monday, November 16, 2015

Natural Childbirth at its Best

With the wind blowing in from the North, the warmest place to be is with mom.  I'm glad, she chose a place to nest, with a Southern exposure.

Ruby with two chicks
I guess it must be getting crowded under there.  I've seen 5 chicks so far, but the rosebush right outside their enclosure tells me there will be 8.

8 rosebuds on this bush in mid November
I'm so glad I trusted Ruby and let nature take its course.  Her chicks will be hale and hearty because they weren't made weak by human intervention.  The only help I've given Ruby is by way of food and water, and building her enclosure around her.  I'm so glad, I didn't go with an incubator.  There is so much beauty in "staying out of the way".

Hear that?  That's the sound of contentment radiating from a mama hen and her human friend.

And to answer the question why they don't squash the chicks by sitting on them.  She props herself up using her wings.  Nature so Rocks!

Ruby, my girl, you're a good mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment