Sunday, November 15, 2015

One Fine Sunday

It's flippin' cold outside.  So my friend Ruby Hen has decided to go broody.  Through shorter daylight hours, stormy nights and cold temperatures, she has been on the nest.  And this morning, because I knew it was getting close...I peeped at her when I was feeding her.  And I was rewarded with an answering peep from underneath her fluffed up feathers.

I kept my distance, and gave her plenty of space.  But I'm sure she could hear my heart singing.  I'm sure it carried for miles.

This afternoon, as I was taking out the compost, I caught sight of two black fluffy chicks exploring the world around their mom.  As soon as she saw me she tucked them in under her.  And still, I kept my distance and cooed to her and told her what fine chicks they were, and what a good mother she was.

I guess she knows, I won't take them from her, because every time I call to her now, she stands up to show me a glimpse of her chicks.  And at the end of the day, she stood up to show me there were 3.

Oh to be brand new in the world.

They are already exploring, and tasting things and pecking at things, and it's only their first day. And even though they're so small, they look so sturdy, and independent.  I found myself saying a prayer to the angels who watch over brand new baby animals, and their moms.  Let me watch them grow.  Let me watch this Joy in the form of downy feathers, and soft peeps, and dancing feet.

And when the most confident one spread it's tiny little wings, I remembered the words of Dr. Clarissa Pinkola Estes talking about chicks.  "Don't you know the angels breath through their wings?"

I do now.  I've seen it first hand.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment